theblogthebiothephotos

Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Happiest People ON EARTH!

I know my last post was thanks to Oprah, but she really does highlight interesting and important topics. One of which I caught this morning, going through my DVR I saw a title from a show a week or so ago on the ‘Happiest People on Earth”. She profiled women in Copenhagen, Istanbul, Tokyo, Rio De Janeiro and finally in Dubai. She discussed their tax structure, health care and most importantly the woman’s role in her family and how she balances that with a career. Copenhagen won as the “Happiest of happy” but clearly many other places around the world are equally as blissful. The main take away point? With the exception of Dubai, they have all managed this happiness on much less “stuff” than your typical American. From small refrigerators to sharing bathrooms, kids learn responsibility and family’s learn that joy doesn’t always come from something you can purchase. I have to remind myself of this every time I go through my closet, “purging” to create space for the upcoming season.

Just gets me thinking as I start to register for the wedding, what do "we" really “need”?

I know I will never achieve “minimalist” status, but it never hurts to be reminded that as infinite as one’s backyard may seem now, space on this planet is limited and you can’t take “stuff” with you when you die.

Thanks again Oprah...

Click here to watch pieces of the show:
http://www.oprah.com/dated/oprahshow/oprahshow-20091021-happiest-people


No comments:

Post a Comment

Always up for a reaction, impression or question?